Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The BEST Tasting Protien Bar

For my next blog assignment I had to pick a food that I enjoy. I choose a PROMAX®protein bar, they are my favorite protein bars, and my favorite flavor are the cookies 'n cream. I do not consume these are on a regular basis, but maybe once a week on occasion between classes and work I enjoy these protein bars. They are a multi-ingredient product that are sold at your local grocery or health food store. Here are the ingredients I have found on their website: http://www.promaxnutrition.com/products/core-flavors/cookies-n-cream


INGREDIENTS:
 PROMAX® PROTEIN BLEND (SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CALCIUM CASEINATE), CORN SYRUP, FRUCTOSE, YOGURT FLAVORED COATING [SUGAR, PALM KERNEL OIL, NONFAT MILK, NONFAT YOGURT POWDER (CULTURED WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CULTURED NONFAT MILK, YOGURT CULTURE), SOY LECITHIN, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR], WATER, COCOA (DUTCHED), COOKIE PIECES [RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, TAPIOCA STARCH, PALM OIL, COCOA (DUTCHED), CORNSTARCH, SALT, UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SOY LECITHIN], SOY LECITHIN, CANOLA OIL, GUAR GUM, NATURAL FLAVOR.

Although this protein bar contains soy products and good source of protein (20g/bar) the site claims to have no artificial sweeteners, preservatives or flavors. I think that corn syrup, fructose, nonfat milk and yogurt cultures, and "natural flavor" are still considered sources of sweeteners, preservatives and flavors, but the majority of the ingredients are recognizable such as the flour, salt, sugar, unsweetened chocolate, etc. I am not sure exactly where the manufacturers received their sources from, but this product was produced by a major corporation, which is located in Newport but I cannot find the specific where they are manufactured. The cost of production, marketing, and manufacturing this product has negative effects on the environment. It costs energy to make this product, as well as its packaging. This product is somewhat healthy as a meal replacement or supplement if used sporadically. I would not recommend eating this everyday as a substitute for a meal on a regular basis because it would not meet all nutritional needs. As far a taste go I think these are the best protein bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment